Hot Air Balloons

wpid-Photo-Mar-5-2015-839-PM.jpg

The rest of the country may be undergoing a horrific winter, but in Seattle spring is here! We've been having record breaking warm temperatures and spending a lot of time outside enjoying the sunshine. So last weekend when I visited the girls we wanted to be outside.

I hadn't been to their school since Emmalee started Kindergarten and they couldn't wait to show off their playground and new tricks they'd learned so off we went to their elementary school to play.

While we were there we noticed a hot air balloon floating towards us. We didn't think anything of it and kept playing, however as we were getting ready to go we realized it was looking like it was going to land in the field behind the school.

Emmalee immediately took off across the playground and toward the balloon, with the rest of us right behind her. We weren't going to witness the first balloon landing of the year (for us!).

(Ignore the graininess of my photos, I took them on my phone as I was chasing after Emma and not really paying attention!)

As we watched the hot air balloon float closer and closer to the ground I reminisced about watching hot air balloons land all summer long when I was growing up.

The neighborhood where I grew up was one block from a park that was frequently the landing point for hot air balloons. I remember the excitement of spotting a hot air balloon as it began its descent down to earth.

Just like Emmalee, I would scream hot air balloon landing and take off out the front door, up the street and down the road toward the park with my parents chasing after me hoping I'd reach the park before it landed.

I always loved watching hot air balloons land and was excited to share the experience with Maddie and Emma!

While I love watching hot air balloons land I'm not sure I would ever want to go up in one! Would you ever ride in a hot air balloon? Or maybe you have, was it worth it? Was it scary?

Regardless I'm ready for sprung and summer to officially be here spring so we can see more hot air balloons!

10 Responses to Hot Air Balloons
  1. Kelsey
    March 10, 2015 | 8:53 AM

Seriously love hot air balloons! Waking up on a beautiful spring day with the skies full of balloons is amazing! Definitely on my bucket list to do someday.
    Kelsey recently posted..Baseball: It’s in his blood…

2. Ashley
    March 10, 2015 | 3:08 PM

I bet that is an amazing experience! I would love to go for a hot air balloon ride!
    Ashley recently posted..My 4 Favorite Fitness Apps

3. Angie
    March 10, 2015 | 11:33 PM

Man our weather has been unreal hasn’t it?! A hit air balloon ride is on my bucket list. I’ve never seen them around Seattle though. You’ll have to tell me your secret squirrel location!
    Angie recently posted..Weekly Wishes

March 11, 2015 | 10:17 PM

Angie, are you in Seattle? I grew up in Kirkland and see them a ton on the Eastside during the summer!

4. Julia
    March 11, 2015 | 2:04 PM

Wow! That is cool. I love hot air balloons, and what an experience!

5. Becca
    March 11, 2015 | 2:08 PM

The only time I was ever in a hot air balloon, it was still tied to the ground! I just remember my mom freaking out and asking if her hair was going to catch on fire because of the hairspray! :)
    Becca recently posted..Blanket Lollipops Tutorial

March 11, 2015 | 10:18 PM

Ha! I’ve never been in one, tied down or up in the sky! Still not sure I ever would want to; I’m too much of a control freak!

6. Angie
    March 11, 2015 | 11:48 PM

Cori- I do, I live in West Seattle and grew up in Renton. I’ll have to ck Kirkland out!!
    Angie recently posted..St. Patrick’s Day Roundup

March 12, 2015 | 10:04 PM

Oh wow, yep your close by! I’m surprised you don’t see many hot air balloons, then again it’s probably difficult to fly around skyscrapers and lots of water:) Suburbs are a lot easier!

7. Rebekah
    March 16, 2015 | 7:44 AM

Part of me has always wanted to go on a hot air balloon… but the thought of being that high up is terrifying! I do love looking at them though!
    Rebekah recently posted..MAC Cinderella Mini Haul