Totaled

It’s no big secret that the last few weeks have been crappy for me. I mean you saw my last post on how I was hurting. Little did I know that less than 12 hours later I’d be hurting even more, but this time physical pain.

On Saturday, October 9th I was running late to a work event (shocker!). I jumped in my car, ready for a busy fun day and off I went. Less then 5 minutes later, about 4 miles from my house I collided with a guardrail.

Yes, a guardrail.

Not only a guardrail, but a guardrail when my car was going 60mph.

I hit so hard and then tried to correct it (to alleviate more damage), that the next thing I knew I was spinning;

Around.

And around.

And around my car went.

With every rotation my car hit the guardrail.

Over. And over. and over again.

Time felt like it stopped. I honestly don’t remember how many times I spun, but before I knew it I had stopped and my car was pointed in the same direction I started.

When my car stopped all I could think of was I have to get out of the road.. The road I had my accident on is a curvy 2  lane highway with no shoulder. I KNEW it was only a matter of time before I was hit if I didn’t get out of the road. I drove a half a mile and was able to pull off onto a utility road.

Once parked I finally was able to take a deep breath, say a prayer of thanks that I was okay and then begin to think about my next steps. How I had any ability to function at that time is beyond me. I was so level headed and my thinking was clear. I was in control.

My first call was to my parents. Needless to say this isn’t a call that they wanted to get.

I then texted my best friend.

And then 911.

(I said I was thinking clearly … but may have got the order of calls slightly wrong!)

I had problems with 911 and them finding my location. I remember getting extremely frustrated with the 911 operator trying to explain my locale. The more frustrated I got, the more pain I began to feel.

By the time my parents arrived, I was near tears (still talking with the operator) and shaking uncontrollably. The first thing my mom did was move me to my car (yes, she got a stern talking by the EMTs later for moving me!) and took over duty with phone.

Before I knew it the firetruck and ambulance had arrived and a massive wave of nauseau came across me. Someone climbed into the backseat of my parents car and immediately grabbed my neck so I didn’t move. They then slowly pulled me out and into a standing position.  Once out of the car they put a neck brace on me.

I quickly became BFFs with Matt, the firefighter who appeared to be in charge. He talked with me through the next maneuver – moving me from standing, onto a backboard, to the ground and then onto the gurney. I am soooooo thankful he talked to me through the entire thing, because was the scariest part.

In a matter of seconds they had me attached to the backboard and slowly lowered me to the ground. Once on the ground they did a quick assessment before moving me onto the gurney and into the back of the ambulance.

They moved fast. I was out of the car, assessed and on my way to the hospital before the State Trooper even arrived.

While they were speedy getting me on the road, it felt like an eternity to get the hospital.

I felt every bump in the road.

Once again Matt talked to me through the whole thing. I remember him talking, I think I answered?!? After the accident I got horribly nauseated so I was given oxygen on the way to the ER. I was in such a state of shock that I just laid there, stared at the roof and concentrated on my breathing. I was so quiet and calm that I think Matt was worried about me not being okay, because apparently most of their patients are screaming or crying uncontrollably … Not me. He finally asked my mom, “you know her the best, how is she?”

It was a surreal experience. I was laying there aware of what was going on, yet it was almost like I wasn’t there. I heard him ask my mom how she thought I was (and she assured him I was just horribly scared), but I felt completely removed from the trip. (This is actually how I feel about the actual accident. I remember my car hitting the guardrail and spinning, but I have NO recollection of what my body did inside the car.)

After the 20 minute drive we finally arrived at the hospital. Going via ambulance is the way to go – no waiting! The doctor and nurse (oh and a state trooper, too!) met us at the door and began their assessment right away.

I was the whisked off to get x-rays and a CT-scan. At this point my adrenaline kicked in. I was HAPPPPPPY! Cracking jokes, giggling and having a great time (or as great as could be being stuck to hard board unable to move!). I was in such a great mood my mom question the doctor and asked her was my mood normal. The doctor assured her it was and “don’t worry she will crash” (no pun intended).

The longer I laid on the backboard the more my head hurt from the neck brace. It got to the point where I was begging the techs to take it off. I tried bribery even, but sadly even that didn’t work. The doctor wouldn’t take off the neck brace until the results from the tests were back and cleared me from injury. This time took forever…the doctor finally game back in and said it looked like I had fractured a bone near my sternum, but to confirm they needed to do another CT-scan.

Fantastic. So much for getting the neck brace off anytime soon!

Finally, the results from the second scan was in and showed that I hadn’t fractured it after all.  In the end I was discharged with the diagnosis of bruised neck and back, plus internal bruising from where my seatbelt laid and locked. (My airbags didn’t deploy because I missed the sensor by just inches.)

Sure enough the doctor was right and on the way home I crashed – both physically and emotionally. I suddenly was scared.

I reenacted the accident over and over in my head. Plus the amazement of the hospital staff that I was so okay, who kept telling me how lucky I was and that I could have easily been t-boned by an oncoming car.

I ended up out of work for an entire week. My co-workers were (and are) amazing and donated their sick days to me so I could still get a weeks paycheck even though I was home (I hadn’t accrued much sick time yet). I went back to work on Monday and each day is a little bit better then the day before. I still come home in pain and exhausted, but am happy to have my life returning to normal.

The insurance company totaled my car and now I’m waiting for the insurance check to arrive so I go buy a new car. It’s supposed to arrive tomorrow and hopefully this weekend I will find a car to purchase. I’m excited to be getting a new car, but not looking forward to car payments again. Oh well I don’t have much of a choice!

20131120-224046.jpg

20131120-224053.jpg

20131120-224059.jpg

20131120-224122.jpg

In the end I never got a ticket, or at least not yet!  My insurance company has been a-mazing covering everything.  One thing I did learn is that I have to pay to fix the guardrail! had you heard of that before?  I had no idea, luckily my insurance will cover it!

Have you ever been in a car accident??

19 Responses to Totaled
  1. Ellen Christian
    November 21, 2013 | 4:58 AM

I was in an accident as a teenager but I don’t recall much of it thankfully. Will keep you in my prayers for a speedy recovery.
    Ellen Christian recently posted..Finding Family Friendly Movies

November 21, 2013 | 9:53 PM

Thank you!

2. Alaina
    November 21, 2013 | 7:37 AM

Oh my God, I am so glad you are okay. Wow….you must have had some guardian angel looking out for you. Sending positive thoughts and prayers your way.

I was in a car accident my first year of law school. I was stopped at a light when a drunk driver drove right into me at 55 or 60 mph. I saw him coming so because I tensed up, I will have neck pain forever, but that is the only injury I suffered. I still tense up when I see a car coming fast from behind. I’m not sure you ever forget that and the fear is always there, you know?

November 21, 2013 | 9:41 PM

How scary to see the driver coming at you!! I’ve been diligently going to the chiropractor and massage therapist in hopes of mot having pain forever! We will see if that works….xoxo Nain!

3. Becca - My Crazy Good Life
    Twitter: beccaludlum
    November 21, 2013 | 8:12 AM

I am so glad you’re ok! What a horrible experience. I hope from here on out, things only get better!
    Becca – My Crazy Good Life recently posted..Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie And A #Smoovember Giveaway!

4. Shop with Me Mama
    Twitter: shopwithmemama
    November 21, 2013 | 10:52 AM

SO glad that you are okay! Sooooo scary :( Me and my family were driving down the busy freeway last year and our tire popped! we skidded across all three lanes then back again into the side of the road. I was 20 weeks pregnant and my two babies in the back seat were sooooooo scared and crying. I remember how helpless I felt as we were skidding and I was looking back at my babies trying to help them but could not. Oh it was sooo scary. We were all fine, but gosh that was horrible! HUGS.
    Shop with Me Mama recently posted..Cougar: is it a compliment or an insult?

November 21, 2013 | 9:54 PM

Scary! I can’t imagine having other people with me. I’m very happy that I was the only one involved….I’d feel horrible if I hurt someone else!

5. Jackie
    November 21, 2013 | 11:32 AM

OMG… I am so glad that you’re alright!!!

And yes, I’ve been in an accident before. In the snow… I rolled my SUV 4 times. Thankfully, I walked away bruised and that was it. Terrifying as hell though!
    Jackie recently posted..Fall Favorite – Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies

November 21, 2013 | 9:55 PM

ROLLED IT 4 TIMES!?!? Girl, what were you doing!!!

6. Hanan
    November 21, 2013 | 3:10 PM

What a crazy and scary experience! I’m so happy you’re okay! What a miracle. I’ve never been in an accident, but my husband has twice. It was scary just seeing those. I couldn’t imagine being in one. That’s great your insurance is working with you too, they can be a pain sometimes!
    Hanan recently posted..Cheesy Bacon & Egg Biscuit Bake #PAMSmartTips

November 21, 2013 | 9:55 PM

I’ve been soooo happy with my insurance company…not to mention I no longer will complain about paying it!

7. Michelle
    November 21, 2013 | 5:05 PM

I’m glad that although you’re in pain, you’ll heal in no time
    So scary!
    And I’ve been in a few car accidents and they really shake you up

8. Amy @ Oh So Savvy Mom
    November 21, 2013 | 7:21 PM

How scary. I’m so glad you are alright. Make sure you find a good massage therapist and chiropractor (if you feel comfortable with chiropractors). I got hit from behind about 5 years ago and had really bad whip lash, I had massage therapy for about 6 weeks after the accident, but that spot still gives me chronic trouble. So make sure you do what you need to do to rest your body and take care of yourself.
    Amy @ Oh So Savvy Mom recently posted..For the Star Wars Fans, How about a Giant Darth Vader Action Figure – Holiday Gift Guide

November 21, 2013 | 9:56 PM

I went the the chiropractor a day and a half later … I couldn’t get in there fast enough! I also have a new massage therapist and she is awesome!

9. diann c.
    November 21, 2013 | 9:46 PM

I’m so sorry to hear about your accident and relieved you’re o.k….frightening! Life’s humbling experiences are just that…humbling and yes, painful (in more ways than one), but I bet you leave earlier and drive slower…at least for a while anyway! Hope you continue to heal with no recurring affect.

November 21, 2013 | 9:57 PM

Definitely a more careful driver now, as I am constantly on high alert!

10. Amanda W.
    November 21, 2013 | 9:48 PM

Wow. I’m so sorry to hear this! It was great seeing you on Monday! Glad you are getting better

11. Steve O.
    November 21, 2013 | 9:50 PM

Poor Cori! I’m sorry you had to go through that. I hope you’ll be able to quickly recover.

12. Jess
    November 21, 2013 | 9:57 PM

Oh my gosh. I have been in one small car accident {Hubby’s fault} and it was very traumatic for me.. I am a very cautious driver so I don’t get in an accident! I’m so glad you’re ok!
    Jess recently posted..Safe Babywearing With Boba #freedomtogether