Mason’s Delivery: Take 2

20130720-185602.jpg34 weeks.

This past Thursday Jaime hit the magical 34th week of pregnancy. By 34 weeks she had only had one run to Labor & Delivery and that was a couple weeks ago. At that point the goal was 34 weeks.

34 week Thursday came and went with no pomp & circumstance, but lots of cheers! However, the next day things began to shake again…

About 1pm yesterday, I got a call from Jaime saying she was heading to the hospital with constant-close together contractions and to please meet her there. I jumped into the car and meg her as soon as she arrived.

Because of how fast the contractions came on she still had the girls with her and had made arrangements for Grandma to meet us at the hospital and take the girls back to her house.

Jaime headed into the hospital while the girls and I hung out, outside, waiting. Luckily it was a beautiful day and the hospital has a really nice entrance with lots of room for the girls to run. They had fun playing outside while we waited for Grandma to arrive.

Once I sent Grandma and the girls on their way I went to sit with Jaime. Upon arriving Jaime shared that contractions were every 2-4 minutes apart and that the baby had flipped since her last appointment on Wednesday, and was now feet first. This brought up the not so silent murmuring of a possible c-section.

Her contractions were constant and close together. First goal was to stop them.

They put her on some labor stopping medication and we waited.

We eavesdropped on other patients and the hospital staff.

We checked our phones, keeping family and friends updated on her condition.

Played Words with Friends.

And I did my best to distract her with my smart-aleck-ness (don’t think she was overly amused but the staff found me hilarious!) while we waited.

The medicine worked, but unfortunately not for very long. About three hours after her first dose the contractions picked up again and she was admitted for observation.

It was nice when she was moved out of the triage area and into a room with a tv! At least now we had something to watch to distract each other. (On a positive note the Mariners were playing and I caught the end of the game!)

Zak arrived as soon as he got off work and I left for a little while so they could have some privacy before he headed home to watch the girls.

When I got back to the hospital we settled in for a long night of constant interruptions. I think we went to sleep about midnight and at 1am I woke up to her getting up to go to the bathroom….I remember thinking “she’s going to the bathroom” but was so incoherent I didn’t get up and help her get unhooked from the baby monitors or unplug her IV.

Great support person, huh?!

I slept well, what can I say?!

We woke up this morning about 5:30am and were met by Nurse Kratchet. She was awful! I could tell it was going to be a very long day!

Luckily around 10am the doctor stopped by and said Jaime could be discharged, but was being sent home on bedrest. We couldn’t get out quick enough to get away from the cranky-know-it-all nurse.

I got her home and I took a nap. Jaime however never slept….apparently I’m a wuss!

The Goal: Get her to 35 weeks (Thursday). If she can hold on until then they will no longer stop labor and let her deliver. If she goes back before then, they will do more aggressive measures to stop it.

Hopefully she will make it well past 35 weeks and Baby Mason will flip into delivery position by himself. If he doesn’t and the doctor is unable to turn him, Jaime will be having a c-section. At this point (as cliche as it sounds) only time will tell.

Mason is in control and at the wheel….we will just wait for him to call the final shot! However he should stick around a bit longer as we’re throwing Jaime’s baby shower next Saturday! Will we make it?! We shall see!

35 weeks, 35 weeks! She can do it, I know she can!

But just in case I will be packing my own hospital bag just in case I’m needed again!

17 Responses to Mason’s Delivery: Take 2
  1. Sue D.
    July 21, 2013 | 8:29 PM

Good job but at least there is no snow!

July 21, 2013 | 8:32 PM

There’s still time…..

2. Beeb
    Twitter: hardertobreathe
    July 22, 2013 | 8:30 AM

All the best to your family! If she delivers before the baby shower, then I guess you’ll have to add one extra guest to the party list. :)
    Beeb recently posted..Blast From The Past

July 23, 2013 | 8:13 PM

We’ve now postponed the shower! We are waiting for baby to be born and home from the hospital!

3. Jessica @FoundtheMarbles
    July 22, 2013 | 11:04 AM

Mine were born at 31 weeks and 35 weeks. She and baby are going to be just fine!! Good luck!
    Jessica @FoundtheMarbles recently posted..The Anatomy of a Curse Word

July 23, 2013 | 8:12 PM

I’ve had my share of caring for preemies, so I know everyone will be fine but until he’s here there’s always the fear of the unknown!

4. Carrie with Children
    Twitter: CarrieWChildren
    July 22, 2013 | 11:49 AM

Oh my goodness, what an exciting time! I made a few trips back and forth to the hospital before my first daughter was born. So wonderful to have someone that is supportive as you.
    Carrie with Children recently posted..BJ’s Restaurant + Big Poppa Smokers BBQ = Date Night! #BJsRestaurants #PMedia

5. Carrie with Children
    Twitter: CarrieWChildren
    July 22, 2013 | 11:49 AM

6. Crystal
    July 22, 2013 | 12:25 PM

hang tight! babies never work on our time tables :)
    Crystal recently posted..Keeping it Stylish & Comfortable at Gymboree for Back to School Clothes Shopping

July 23, 2013 | 8:11 PM

I know! Our luck he will stick around until is due date at the end of August!

7. Jackie
    July 23, 2013 | 7:46 AM

Yikes.. only a couple more days till thursday! Good luck to everyone!
    Jackie recently posted..What I hope… #BlogHer13

8. Becca - My Crazy Good Life
    Twitter: beccaludlum
    July 23, 2013 | 1:27 PM

What an exciting time for you! Yes, it’s always a great idea to have a bag packed so you can go out and help!
    Becca – My Crazy Good Life recently posted..I’m Sick Of Being The Good Parent

July 23, 2013 | 8:10 PM

About packing that bag…..but on a positive note I’ve been good at remembering my iPad and laptop before I go to work each morning!

9. Amy @ Oh So Savvy Mom
    July 24, 2013 | 1:15 PM

How’s she doing. It’s almost Thursday! Hopefully that little guy is the epitome of health when he arrives!
    Amy @ Oh So Savvy Mom recently posted..Fairy Tales Hair Care Sun and Swim – Review

10. Melissa
    July 24, 2013 | 2:06 PM

What’s the latest?! So exciting!
    Melissa recently posted..The Hunger Games: Catching Fire Trailer + NEW Finnick Picture! #CelebrateYourVictors

11. Kerri
    Twitter: SavvyMomNYC
    July 26, 2013 | 5:06 AM

Happy to hear! 35 weeks is almost here!
    Kerri recently posted..Wanda’s Monster: A Family Musical

12. Cori
    July 26, 2013 | 8:30 AM

He’s still holding strong! She hit 35 weeks and now we wait…