Caffeine + Cori

I don’t drink caffeine.

Actually, let me rephrase that.

I don’t drink caffeine very often.

Yes, I’m Mormon so I have chosen not to drink coffee, but caffeinated soda’s are sort of taboo.  Some Mormons drink caffeinated pops, others choose not to.  That’s not why I don’t drink it though.

You see, my body will NOT LET ME drink caffeine.  Not Coca-Cola or Mountain Dew; I can’t even take Excedrin anymore for my constant headaches and migraines, because it contains caffeine.

Do you know what soda also has caffeine in it?  BARQ’S Root Beer!

I learned this the hard way.

You see this quarter in school I’m taking 20 credits + an internship.  I’m B-U-S-Y and yesterday thirsty too!

On my way out the door I grabbed a can of pop to drink on my way to a meeting, not to stay awake but because I was thirsty.  About the time I arrived at meeting I was super dizzy, lightheaded and shaking like crazy.  It felt like I was going to pass out at any moment.  Somehow I kept my composure and made it through the meeting.

After leaving my meeting I was on my way to work, when I suddenly remembered that one brand of Root Beer contains caffeine.  I immediately grabbed my old can of pop, and sure enough I had drank a Barq’s Root Beer and it contained 22mg of caffeine.

You might be thinking, 22mg of caffeine that’s nothing compared to the 320mg of caffeine found in a Starbucks Grande Brewed Coffee.  The difference?  My body isn’t used to caffeine and my body doesn’t like it!  I need to remember to avoid Barq’s in the future.

How long did it take me to feel better?  I drank the soda about 3:30pm and I was still feeling jittery when I went to bed nearly 12-hours later at 3:00am.  Crazy, huh!

9 Responses to Caffeine + Cori
  1. Erin
    February 1, 2012 | 3:22 PM

Don’t buy the Women’s One a Day multivitamin I bought! On back said contains as much caffeine as a cup of coffee!

2. amber
    February 1, 2012 | 5:48 PM

Wow, poor thing. I’m surprised because when pregnant that was one of the caffeine free drinks your allowed. Never thought about the brand thing , good information to have.
    amber recently posted..Wordless Wednesday with Linky

• cori @ cori's big mouth
      February 8, 2012 | 7:49 PM

It stinks, but I don’t think it’s a horribly bad thing considering “caffeine is bad for you” …. right? LOL!
      cori @ cori’s big mouth recently posted..I’m Drowning

3. LeeAnn
    February 1, 2012 | 6:51 PM

Wow! Your body certainly wouldn’t survive all the caffeine I drink on a daily basis. LOL It sounds like caffeine gives you a response similar to a panic attack. Crazy.
    LeeAnn recently posted..Wordless Wednesday: Potty Time

• cori @ cori's big mouth
      February 8, 2012 | 7:51 PM

I wish I could drink caffeine…it would definitely help me stay awake with all my homework!
      cori @ cori’s big mouth recently posted..I’m Drowning

4. Melissa
    February 1, 2012 | 7:18 PM

Oh my gosh! You poor thing! I had no idea there was caffeine in that! I gave up caffeine a week ago because I just didn’t like how my body was so dependent on it!
    Melissa recently posted..Toddler Talk: Favorite Water Picture

• cori @ cori's big mouth
      February 8, 2012 | 7:52 PM

Kudos for you for quitting!! Can’t wait to hear how it goes!
      cori @ cori’s big mouth recently posted..I’m Drowning

5. Mary
    February 8, 2012 | 7:47 PM

I can’t drink it either. But for me, it’s because of my reflux. Though, I would probably get really jittery, too, if I drank it now, because I haven’t had much of it in about 10 years. I gave it up in high school, because it was making me really nauseated. I can sometimes handle a little bit (in chocolate), but otherwise, I stay away. … Oh and sunkist orange soda also has it in it! So beware! XD