As It [I] Stand: Part II

Last time I left you all, it was right at the pinnacle of the story…how dare I leave you all wondering …and what happened next?  Well never fear, I’m hear to conclude (I hope) the rest of this high suspense novel…


Friday Night:
Upon hitting submit on my last blog post, the phone rang and it was the ER nurse.  She went through her list of triage questions and determined the likely problem was, the antibiotic I was on for the Kidney Infection wasn’t the right one.  She had me hang up, and call my doctors office, which by now was closed, I talked to their operator service and again sit back for a call from the nurse. 

It seems like an eternity before the on-call doctor called me back.  We talked and again she went through her list of triage questions.  I swear she thinks I’m calling to get another pain medication prescription called in, like I’m now some kind of druggy – but really I want to talk about my antibiotic.  After several assurances that SHE CANNOT REFILL MY PAIN MEDICATION without me seeing a physician, I’m able to get through to her that I DON’T WANT MORE PAIN MEDICINE, I WANT TO TALK ABOUT MY ANTIBIODIC!  At that point, her tone changed…I no longer felt she thought I was a druggy, and yet a patient trying to recover from excruciating kidney pain!  She quickly responded with, I’ll have the on-call doctor call you right away!  To my shock, she did and within minutes I was talking on the phone with my doctor. 

My doctor was able to reassure me, I’d be okay through the night and there was no need to go into the ER.  She helped me adjust the medicine I was on, to get some relief for the night and urged me to make an appointment for early Saturday morning to get reassessed in the office. 

I wish I could say, I had a great night that night.  Unfortunately, that wasn’t the case.  After 2+ days of heavy medication, no food and very little liquids, I was sick.  It was a miserable night spent in the bathroom…enough said.  I did promise my mom “if I survive the night, I promise tomorrow to start eating and drinking again”!  Yep, that’s how pathetic I was!

At some point I must have fallen asleep, because I woke up Saturday morning feeling much better!  I was actually able to get up and get some Girl Scout cookies ordered, picked up and delivered, all before 9am!  I also had a 10:45am doctors appointment scheduled.  By the time I headed to the doctor I wasn’t on any medication (probably not the smartest idea), so I was able to drive myself!

Doctors appointment went well.  He once again reassured me, I wasn’t going to become addicted to the vicadin since I was taking it for severe short term pain and to continue taking it as needed.  They drew more blood (now my elbow looks like I’m a druggy from all my pricks and prods at the ER and doctor) and informed me they were still waiting for my urine results to come back from the ER.  Once they got the results, they’d have a better idea of what was wrong and confirm I was on the right antibiotic to fight it.  Since it was going to take some time to hear back from the hospital, he sent me home and informed me they’d call as soon as they got news. 

I was feeling okay, so I swung by Safeway to pickup a refill of medication and check out my Girl Scout Site-Sale that I had going on at the same location.  To my relief, everyone at the site-sale was accounted for and like ususal the cookies were selling themselves!  I felt good.  I felt accomplished.  I picked up my prescription, some Chinese Food (remember I promised my mom I’d eat) and headed home.

Upon arriving home, I ate lunch, took my medication and laid down to rest.  Several hours later my doctors office called with the urine sample results.  I indeed had a kidney infection, a bad one at that, infact the nurse used the words “there’s a whole lotta gunk in your kidney’s” – LOL!  They did confirm my antibiotic I was on, was and would work, it just needed time.

Last night I even headed back to my own place to sleep and got a good nights sleep.  I woke up this morning about 7am in some pain, took some medicine and went back to sleep. 

So my symptoms now are still some pain in my abdomen, burning and pain in my back and between my shoulder blades.  The plan for now, is to keep taking my antibiotic, pain medicine as needed and rest.  Tomorrow, I need to conquer my school work I missed from last Thursday and Friday and start to get back to reality!!!  I have to admit, it feels great to feel human again!!

4 Responses to As It [I] Stand: Part II
  1. Stephanie
    March 6, 2011 | 8:17 PM

    Oh you poor thing.
    Stephanie recently posted..ABCs of Little Ol Me

  2. Kim A.
    March 6, 2011 | 8:41 PM

    What an ordeal! Rest up!

  3. Anne
    March 8, 2011 | 12:41 PM

    Well that sure doesn’t sound like fun. I am glad you are feeling better. What a scarry ordeal.
    Anne recently posted..Update

  4. abdo
    March 9, 2011 | 10:25 AM

    What an ordeal!