Most vivid childhood memory

I know I said I wouldn’t be posting my second part of the Back To School/Back To Blogging homework until Tuesday, but well I lied!  So here I am doing my homework early, so unlike me!

From the Idea Bank Prompt #353

There is one memory in my life that has always stuck out as my most vivid memory.  The odd thing is, it’s a memory from when I was just barely three years old.  However, this memory (at that time) was so traumatic, it has actually caused me years of anxiety and stress.  I’ll preface by saying, looking back now, it’s silly, I wasn’t in any harm at all, but when you’re only three-years-old it sure felt like it!

Okay…now back in time we go to early morning of September 13, 1988….

I woke up, just as I did every morning.  Climbed out of bed and wandered into my parents room.  Upon entering the room, I realized that my parents weren’t in there – no big deal, they must be downstairs already.  I remember wandering downstairs and into the kitchen.  To my shock, nobody was there.  I remember walking out the garage and the car was gone.  The most vivid part of the memory I have is walking back towards the stairs, and climbing the first step thinking “they’ve left me, they don’t want me anymore”.  I was scared out of my mind.

I wandered back up the stairs and was surprised to be met at the top by some family friends.  Turns out, my mom had gone into labor the night before, and delivered my little sister Kelly after I’d gone to bed.  My parents didn’t want to wake me, so they had their friends come stay at the house.  Instead of staying in my parents room, they stayed in our guest room – thus me not noticing them until that moment.  I survived and lived to tell the story, and was “lucky” to get to meet Baby Kelly a few hours later!

Obviously 22 years have now gone by, but I’m pretty sure that initial “abandonment” feeling has left a strong impression on me.  My whole life, while I know with out a doubt my parents love me and would never everabandon me, I’ve still suffered from extreme anxiety and stress.  I’ve learned to work through it and am getting to the point of being able to say I’m “over it”.  But the memory is still there.  The pain is still there.  I still think about those moments a lot.  The memory still haunts me from time to time.  Not to mention my mom, who for years felt absolutely awful about the pain it caused me.  I wouldn’t trade my parents for anything…but I’d definitely be willing to trade that memory for another one!

Cori & Baby Kelly

Kludgy MomPart 2 of my homework for Week 2 of the Back To School, Back To Blogging Class over at Kludgy Mom!

20 Responses to Most vivid childhood memory
  1. Mommy Katie
    September 20, 2010 | 8:17 PM

I am a new follower and I would love a follow back!!

2. Kat
    September 20, 2010 | 8:50 PM

Things can seem a lot worse when you are younger. That picture is very sweet!

3. Colleen
    September 20, 2010 | 9:08 PM

Newest follower through Tuesday Tag Along.

I noticed that you live in Washington. I just moved to WA about a month and a half ago, military. Loving it so far. :) Stop by my blog if you have a chance. http://sewtheday.blogspot.com

Colleen

4. Kristin
    September 20, 2010 | 9:45 PM

Yowza! That’s quite traumatic!

Found your blog on Tuesday Tagalong…and am now following!

Kristin :)
    Keenly Kristin

5. Traci66
    September 20, 2010 | 10:06 PM

Thank you for following me. I am glad to follow you too.

6. Design It Chic
    September 21, 2010 | 2:35 AM

I am already a follower, but visiting now from Follow Me Back Tuesday:)
    Plus today we have an amazing giveaway: 3 x greeting cards of your choice complete with delivery to the recipient, so come on by to sign in and make your loved ones happy by sending them a cute card just that easy! Happy Tuesday!

7. FunFritzFamily
    September 21, 2010 | 5:50 AM

Hi! Following from Tagalong Tuesday…would love to have you follow back!

8. Andria
    September 21, 2010 | 6:03 AM

Stopping by from Tuesday Blog Hop, come visit me sometime.

9. Mrs.Mayhem
    September 21, 2010 | 6:12 AM

The image of you wandering around the house, looking for your parents is heartbreaking!

It is amazing how simple events can impact kids.

10. Hanna
    September 21, 2010 | 6:23 AM

Hi there!! I’m your newest follower from the Tuesday blog hop:) Lovely blog!!! You can find me at http://www.bouffeebambini.blogspot.com

11. Momma Teri
    September 21, 2010 | 6:55 AM

Newest follower from Follow Me Back Tuesday. Please stop in and do the same for me:

12. Raphael and Dawn
    September 21, 2010 | 7:07 AM

Hello!!! We are your newest followers! We hope you will follow us back at http://www.justmarriedwithcoupons.com! Have a great day =)

13. Jamarah Crafty Creations
    September 21, 2010 | 7:37 AM

Hi just calling by from your latest follower Via Tuesday Blog hops. Love meeting new bloggers. Hope you are having a wonderful week so far. Be sure to check my blog out http://www.jamarahcraftycreations.blogspot.com
    Sarah.

14. MamaOnDaGo
    September 21, 2010 | 10:13 AM

What a horrible memory. At least you received a new sibling from it. That memory and bond is priceless.
    Visiting/following via B2SB2B

15. Pop
    September 21, 2010 | 10:22 AM

Woah! 3 years old?! D1 is 2.5 now, so I guess I better be real careful.

16. Xmasdolly
    September 21, 2010 | 10:34 AM

Hi there, I’m a new follower from FMBT. Nice to meet you. Child’s ID bracelet is a wonderful idea. They use to take fingerprints & pics at the police station and give you a little kit when my kids were little.

If you get a chance, stop by and return the follow-luv.

17. gigi
    September 21, 2010 | 6:05 PM

I have some very vivid memories from age 3 too. This story made me really sad. Thinking about you walking around thinking they’d left you. I’m sorry that it had a lasting impact and not in a good way. :(

18. ZippyChix
    September 24, 2010 | 4:06 PM

It is so interesting the memories that we choose to hold on to in our lives. I always hope and pray that my children will remember all of the wonderful memories that I have attempted to create….but sometimes they will talk about the oddest things that happened long ago….I guess you never know what will stick. I certainly have some interesting things that I remember from my childhood. Thanks for sharing:)

19. Jackie
    September 27, 2010 | 8:58 AM

I can totally sympathize with you! I had a similar experience when I was under 5 (can’t remember the exact age) but I remember waking from a nap and couldn’t find my mom no matter how loud I yelled! I’m so old and that was so long ago I can’t remember much else!!